Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Changing Careers?

If you're thinking about changing careers - good for you! There is only one life to live and lots of things out there to try. Well, of course if you believe in reincarnation, that's a whole different story, worrying about who you might come back as, but for me knowing I only have so much time, I have to make the most of it.

Changing careers is a challenging thing though, not for faint hearted, but an exciting experience. You go in, diving right into the deep, feeling like you've got the ground pulled from beneath you, no specific knowledge, experience or expertise to back you up or to make you a name. Once a go-to-person, now just a new person on the block. Humbling experience for sure. Starting out from a blank canvas, but with your mind and those soft and transferable skills with you. Those are essential and extremely valuable, since that's what's going to make you successfull in the new role. And that's probably what got you that job in the new field in the first place.

So here I am five and a half months into my brand new job and a brand new career, feel pretty settled in, humbling stage has passed, now filled with a certain sense of accomplishment, and still excited to learn. So my new job has to do the workings of the internet, site marketing, analytics, website optimization, and all the wonderful things that the online world has to offer to a savvy businessman or woman. Lots of things to learn, lots to talk about. I might be a career changer diving into this, but I'm along for the ride with people who are switching from traditional marketing to the new marketing...I wonder which switch is harder. I vote for the latter, since I'm luckily riding on those transferable skills, lots of analytics, technology, and data experience on my side.

No comments: